Friday, September 28, 2007

Mom called me out - and a turtle

Ok, so my mom has reminded me that I have a blog and need to post, so here goes. I figure I'll just give an update on my recent escapades :)

Ok, so you read all about the wedding. And also that I have moved from 106th to 81st St. That means there have been a coupld weeks unaccounted for in my life. Well, I have basically been occupied with working, after-work parties, and hanging out with friends/Taylor in the New York/New Jersey area.

Starting on September 11, I have had quite a few after-work functions that have been keeping me nice and hydrated (read, drunk for free). For whatever reason, the fall is a time of orientations (it's like the whole worls is on an academic calendar these days), which at Goldman are always followed by free booze. I have enjoyed it, mainly because I have gotten to know my co-workers a lot better :) We not have plenty of inside jokes, which always make for an insteresting work day. I don't know if I've told you lately, but I really love my team at work. We just have a great time together!

In other news, I have finally fallen victim to an addiction that is quite far-flung in our society, though typically not an issue with 20-something females: Fantasy Football. Now, if you know me at all, you know I enjoy football very much. Since college, I feel like I'm an even bigger fan because I just miss school so much and watching college football at a bar really takes me back. Well, college football doesn't have a fantasy edition (that I know of), which is fine, because I don't need artificial "games" against people I don't know to keep me interested in college football. Instead, I have a team composted of NFL players who play on all different teams (if you are a 20-something male reading this, DON'T LAUGH...I have to explain for people like my grandma!). Essentially, the way Fantasy Football works is you draft a fake team made up of people whom you think will play well based on criteria set by the Fantasy Football gods. These gods decide things like: 25 passing yards = 1 point, 1 rushing touchdown = 6 points. Then, the statistics of all of the players on your team in their game for a given week are run through this scoring system and tallied. If you score more "points" than your opponent, you win! Now, I'm 0-3 for this season, so clearly I am no whiz at this game, but I have been having fun with it and it gives me a chance to care about the NFL, something I haven't done since I realized the Lions suck and I feel bad for rooting for any non-Michigan team :)

Ok, one more story before this gets too long!! Taylor and I had an AMAZING and TERRIFYING experience last weekend. We decided to enjoy a beautiful Sunday afternoon with a trip to the Tenafly Nature Center. We started down a trail that Taylor thought led to a pond (featured on website). We found the pond and a little dock and walked out on the dock. We looked down and immediately saw a HUGE snapping turtle sitting in the foot-deep water. The turtle was probably about 30 inches from head to tail, maybe bigger. Well, I've been around wildlife and fish my whole life, but for some reason this snapping turtle, however slow, scared the crap out of me! I stood behind Taylor peeking around him the whole time we were on the dock admiring "Snappy" as we named him.

Well, after a while, we got sick of watching Snappy not move, so we kept walking along the path for a little while. We came back about 15 mintues later and snappy was nowhere in sight. This struck me as odd considering that his pace prior to our departure would have allowed him maybe 5 feet in 15 minutes. Well, I got really scared that Snappy was about to sneak up behind us and kept asking Taylor if we could leave. He assured me that Snappy likes the water, so we stuck around a few more minutes looking for him. While we were standing there, we hear a noise, look up and there's Snappy, about 15 feet down the shore CRAWLING OUT OF THE WATER and up onto the path!!! He was even bigger than he looked in the water!! I promptly ran another 10 feet away while Taylor approached our slow-moving friend to take this picture:

FRIGHTENING, AM I WRONG?!!?!?

Well, that's pretty much the conclusion of the Snappy story, but I do have to admit, I had nightmares that night that a giant snapping turtle was preventing me from arriving at work on time...if only me excuses were always that good!

No comments: