As you probably know, my beloved Grandma Lucyk passed away in February after a stroke. We all miss her terribly, especially around the holidays, when she was always there and so much fun to be around. My mom especially had lots of traditions with Grandma, including Black Friday shopping. Ok, I know I know, you all judge, but then I see you all at those stores!! Don't lie, you do it too! So anyway, my grandma was always the earliest riser I knew, thought Black Friday was just a regular day and never deigned to keep my mom company as she searched for deals. Originally, Taylor and I had planned to spend Thanksgiving in New Jersey with his family, but as the holiday drew nigh (I'm already in the Christmas Olde English spirit), I started feeling a strong desire to stay home with my family, especially for my mom. So we decided early in the month that I would stay and that Taylor would go. When I told my mom, she immediately said "Oh, great! You can complete one of your 30 Before 30!" And so it was :)
We got to work planning right away. I basically wanted to make the same meal my mom always makes, with a couple of my own touches. So the first step, of course, was to plan the menu. We had 9 people at dinner: Me, my Mom and Dad, Garett, Taryn, my Grandma and Grandpa Hooper and Uncle Jeff and Aunt Shari Lucyk (oh, and Nashville, who helped with the leftovers, of course!).
Appetizers: Sweet-hot relish and crackers and Crostini with Gorgonzola, Honey and Walnuts (Aunt Shari made this one)
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole (My mom made this one, considering it her contribution to the meal, but I helped)
Relish Tray
Cranberry
Pistachio Jello
Dessert - Apple a la mode and Pumpkin Pie (supplied by Grandma Hooper)
Drinks - (Wine, Beer, soda, water, etc)
Step 2: Shopping - God Bless Meijer and Michigan, all the ingredients were only $70!!!
![]() |
Preparations on Wednesday:
Boil the sweet potatoes:
![]() |
I don't have any photos of the Pumpkin soup, but I do have these photos from the last time I made it, when I didn't realize that filling a blender with hot liquids could result in this:
![]() |
![]() |
Then, on Thursday morning, I got up bright and early to prep the turkey:
Cleaning the turkey!
![]() |
All ready to go in the oven:
You might have noticed my nice bright shirt in the middle photo above. The reason I got up before daylight on Thanksgiving was that I actually had plans to run a Turkey Trot 5K at 9am. This isn't on my 30 Before 30 list, but it was something I've always wanted to do:
![]() |
No one told me about this part...![]() |
A little blurry but you get the idea. Taryn was kind enough to bring Nashville to cheer me on! I did fairly well, 25 minutes and 30 seconds, which is about an 8 minute and 15 second mile.
![]() |
Stuffing and potatoes boiling:
![]() |
Putting together the green bean casserole:
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
And out comes the Turkey!
|

Me with the full spread:
















No comments:
Post a Comment