Friday, July 10, 2009

Our move-in so far...

I realized today that I haven't blogged in 9 days (bad girl!) and so here goes.

Well, the last 9 days have been spent getting set up in our new apartment. Taylor and I finished moving all of our stuff (that we currently own) into the apartment last Sunday. It was actually not as grueling as I thought it might be. Taylor and I came up with a system band it worked pretty well. What we did was, since parking is virtually impossible in New York, we would pull up in front of our building and unload everything into the lobby area. Then, one of us went to park the car while the other started carrying this up to the apartment. We live in a 5th floor walkup (that's New Yorkish for saying we have to climb 4 flights of stairs to get to our apartment. Not so much a "walkup" as a "trudge up and end up gasping for air" but that's just semantics), so after about 2 trips, you're spent. Once the car was parked, we took turns and one person would carry a load of stuff from the first to the third floor, and the other would carry the stuff from the third to the fifth floor. The great thing about this was it allowed neither of us to have to climb more than 2 flights without getting a rest to go back down for the next load.

Of course, it wouldn't be New York City if someone didn't get irrationally mad at you for no good reason. When we were unloading, someone yelled out their door that I should stop slamming our door. Apparently, when I was walking in and out of the apartment with my hands full of things, I was disturbing their mid-afternoon slumber (it was 2pm on a Saturday so clearly this was an angry person with no life who was holed up in their apartment on 4th of July weekend...loser). Then, on Monday night, we got a little note (probably from the same loser) on our door saying that we should really put down carpet because it was very noisy. Yeah, sure. When I can see the floor, then I'll put down a rug, thanks.

So anyway, that's where we are right now. We have decided to take a break from New York City and are going to New Hampshire this weekend to relax and see Joel McHale (host of E! Television's The Soup) do stand-up. Should be fun! I'll try to post some photos next week of our place!

No comments: