When I was in Indonesia with Taylor, we took a flight back from a few days in Jakarta and were sitting separately. Right before the flight took off, the guy behind me taps me on the shoulder and hands me a pamphlet of some sort. I said, "Apa ini?" (what's this?) and he replied "advertisement" (in English, kindly). I looked, and it was an advertisement for pads (feminine napkins, what-have-you). I was very confused about why this man would be advertising them to me (is he a travelling salesman? do I look like I am in need of this particular product, and, if so, I better RUN to a bathroom!), but then upon closer examination, I realized that written on the front of the pamphlet in pen was the name Fannah followed by an Indonesian cell phone number. So, apparently someone was giving me their phone number on a pamphlet for Kotex (or some other brand). Nice.
I spent the rest of the flight not glancing back for fear that my admirer would be eyeing me. Then, we got off the plane and I was walking to baggage when a girl came up to me and asked where I am from. I replied, "Dari America" (I'm from America) and here's the rest of the conversation in Bahasa (Language) Indonesian (it's too hard to write in paragraph format):
Woman: Bicara Bahasa Indonesia? (You speak Indonesian?)
Me: Hanya siddiquit, masi belegar (Only a little, I'm still learning)
Woman: Bicara bagus (you speak well)
Me: Nama anda? (what's your name?)
Woman: My name is Fannah (in English)
????? I'm thinking, "Wait, you're the one who gave me your phone number?" Of course I didn't ask her this, and she didn't mention it, but we went on to discuss how she knows some English but wants to learn more. Taylor later explained that she probably gave me her number because she wanted me to call her so she could practice her English (he says this happens to him all the time...women trying to pick him up to practice, nice). So yes, this was the first time in a long time that I have been hit on. And it was buy a woman in Indonesia.
3 comments:
Applause is due for your quoting of FoW's "Bright Future in Sales." You rock:)
~Mike Mentzer
http://www.myspace.com/ifightdragons
And all of the little Indonesian boys who wanted to take a picture with you -- duh! You're so hot right now. Unfortunately Australian's are all gorgeous and tiny. I'm a dud here!
My friend Ben was in Japan for six months...he said people there ALWAYS wanted to practice their English on him.
Anyways, uh, congrats on the new girlfriend?
Post a Comment