Taylor and I had several friends, co-workers, and teammates (Team In Training and the Covenant House Home Team, who we ran Chicago with) who were running the race. To commemorate the occasion, Taylor and I invited some friends over for brunch and to watch the race. I made a yummy (if I do say so myself) breakfast casserole and some potatoes and then we had mimosas.
The New York Marathon is actually kind of interesting in that they start people over the course of an hour and a half just to make sure the course isn't too crowded. It works really well, but makes for a LONG day of spectator-ing :) Luckily, the course goes RIGHT by our apartment, so it's super easy to cheer and hop back inside for food or to use the bathroom.
So, we started the day by going out and watching the Elite Women:
| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
and the Elite Men:
| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
pass near our apartment (Mile 17 of the race). We were shocked when the elite men went by not to see Haile Gebrselassie, the world record holder in the marathon and most touted runner this year. I just looked online to see that he actually dropped out of the race on the Queensboro Bridge, and has since (in the last 3 hours) retired from the sport of running altogether. This isn't surprising since supposedly he's 37 years old but he looks more like 60! I was bummed, though, because I had hoped to see him run.
The other big story for the elite runners was that an American woman, Shalane Flanagan, in her marathon debut (as in, this was not her first New York City Marathon, it was her first marathon, period.) placed second. SECOND, that's amazing!
So after we watched the elite runners go by and then returned to our apartment to watch them finish on TV and to eat brunch, we went back out to watch our friends and all the rest of the "normal" people pass. Here are some highlights:
Edison Pena (circled, in white between the two people in yellow), one of the Chilean Miners who was stuck underground for 69 days this year. I can't find his final results, but apparently he had to stop shortly after I took this photo to get some ice on a knee injury he incurred underground. It was really inspiring to see.
Taylor, Susie and I cheering!| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
My friend Lauren just after I got a hug from her. She looked and was doing great and killed her 4 hour goal by 5 minutes! Great job Lauren!!
| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
Jared Fogle, from Subway (circled, in a black hat)!
| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
Taylor's boss Jim and the President of Covenant House, Kevin, in the background in the same shirt.
| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
A nice little emotional moment. Kevin hugging Peggy, an old friend who was out cheering with us.
| From NYC Marathon 2010 |
Taylor and Peggy cheering!
All in all a very fun day :) Now it's time to watch the Lions beat the Jets (sorry honey) and relax!
UPDATE: In typical Lions fashion, they did NOT beat the Jets! :(
No comments:
Post a Comment