Wednesday, December 08, 2010

South Beach Diet, Day 1

Today is day one of the South Beach Diet and so far so good! For those of you who don't know, the South Beach Diet is designed to regulate your blood sugar and cravings for sweets. I have done it a few times with moderate success, primarily because I am not good about sticking to it for the full two weeks, which is the duration of phase 1. Well, that's changing right now! Today, I'm kicking off my 2-week Phase 1, which ends December 21 just in time for the holidays. Hopefully, by getting my appetite under control before the holidays and being inspired by my success over the next 2 weeks, I can set myself up for early success in the new year!

So, I'm going to take the time over the 2 few weeks to use my blog as an accountability partner for my diet. I'll be brief and won't bore you with all the details. Hopefully you'll find it interesting. And hopefully I'll take time to interject some other stories so you're not bored out of your mind reading this.

So, to get started with the South Beach Diet, I had to make a couple big shopping trips. The main items on my list were vegetables, dairy, meat, and decaf coffee. In order to use said coffee, I had to clean my coffee maker, which my husband is keen to remind me has not been used in months and really is just a large clock taking up all of our counter space. Well, not anymore! I brewed 16 oz of Dunkin' Donuts this morning and added Sugar-Free Hazelnut creamer and 2 Sweet 'N' Lows and I must say, it's very good!

I spent a lot of time prepping my foods for this diet. I made mini quiches with spinach, green peppers, onion and cheese. I also made turkey roll-ups, salads for lunches, celery sticks with laughing cow cheese, and a delicious ricotta desert mixture.

Today, here is my menu:

Breakfast: 2 mini quiches (need to buy tomato juice to have with them next time, it wasn't substantial enough)
Mid-morning snack: String Cheese
Lunch: Chef Salad with Balsamic vinegar and olive oil and I'm also going to go look for some sugar free jello cups if they have them at the store. If not, I'll make some tonight
Mid-afternoon snack: 2 turkey roll-ups with cilantro mayo
Dinner: Grilled chicken, steamed veggies (haven't decided which ones yet, probably broccoli with a little low-fat cheese), and salad
Desert: Vanilla Ricotta "ice cream"

Looking forward to having one day done!

No comments: