Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Happy New Year!

So here we are, 2012.  Hard to believe, right?

Well, as is oft-lamented, I'm not really all that good at New Year's Resolutions.  There's just to much pressure on January 1st.  For example, I considered resolving to run at least 1 mile every day this year.  I heard of someone doing it and it seemed like a great idea.  And then 10pm on December 31, 2011 hit and I was struck with an AWFUL stomach bug and virtually unable to stand up let alone ring in the new year!  Taylor and I were with some friends for New Years and left around 1am.  We barely made it home because although I was the designated driver and had behaved myself fully, I had the worst stomach ache ever and could hardly drive without feeling sick.  Needless to say, I did not run 1 mile on January 1, 2011 and there went that potential resolution!

However, I have another resolution that I was smart enough to start more than 2 months ahead of time and can proudly say I am no 20% complete with.  This resolution also happens to be one of my 30 Before 30 Items: Read the Bible all the way through!  I got an iPad back in August and found this amazing App called YouVersion, which you can also access on their website or an iPhone or Android phone.  They offer tons of versions of the bible and also provide training plans and tracking to help you read the Bible any way you want! So, I signed up for the One Year Bible Plan on Taylor and I's 2 year wedding anniversary.  I figured I'd do better if I started before the big "resolution" day of January 1.  So far so good!  Sometimes I get a day or 2 (ok or 3) behind, but I've always managed to catch up and I really am enjoying it.  Each day has a passage or two from each of the old testament, the new testament, psalms and proverbs.

I've read some passages and books (ahem, I'm looking at you, Leviticus!) that I would never have read and seen parts of the Bible that I never knew existed.  Plus, it's really interesting!

Here are some choice verses that I don't think would otherwise have come to my attention:

Proverbs 10:13 NLT
Wise words come from the lips of people with understanding, but those lacking sense will be beaten with a rod.

Mark 10:2-4
Some Pharisees came and tried to trap him with this question: “Should a man be allowed to divorce his wife?”

Jesus answered them with a question: “What did Moses say in the law about divorce?”

“Well, he permitted it,” they replied. “He said a man can give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away.”

*I just want to clarify why I chose this verse.  I find it really funny that a man can "give his wife a written notice and send her away."  It's just a funny visual, but divorce, of course, is not a funny topic, just to clarify :)

Proverbs 11:1 NLT
The LORD detests the use of dishonest scales, but he delights in accurate weights.

Exodus 20:26 NLT
And do not approach my altar by going up steps. If you do, someone might look up under your clothing and see your nakedness.

I'll keep posting my progress and other interesting passages as I find them :)

No comments: