Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Pregnancy Journal - Second Trimester

October 2 - January 14

Baby: Things finally got going in the second trimester in terms of feeling like I actually had a baby in my belly.  First, we had our mid-term ultrasound on November 22, just before Thanksgiving and found out we were having a BOY! :)  Around the same time, I finally felt like I was "showing" as they say and started sporting maternity pants just in time for Thanksgiving.  SO COMFY!
Milestones: The biggest milestone of my pregnancy so far for me has been the first time I felt baby move :)  I had been anxiously awaiting the moment, having been told that it would be between 16 and 25 weeks (but later if you had stronger abs, so, you know, I was happy to wait!).  For a few days, I mistook an upset stomach for the baby moving.  Then, on Decemer 3 at 2:35pm (I have this on record because I was chatting online with my friend Lana at the time!), I felt a distinct "flick" against the front of my belly (into my desk).  It was so crazy and also really awesome.  It was just a couple days later when Taylor was able to feel him move for the first time, too.
Surprises: Taylor and I decided to surprise our families by sharing the name we had chosen for our little guy as a Christmas "gift".  So I bought baby blocks with the letters of his name and we did a little scavenger hunt/word scramble by making them find all the blocks around the house and then unscramble them into his name, Eli David :)  It was so fun and we're glad everyone seems to like the name we picked (or they aren't telling us otherwise!)
Ailments: I was super hungry all throughout my second trimester, which I wouldn't call an ailment, but it was sort of unsettling the amount of food I was eating.  Around Christmas, I also contracted a cough that would stick with me (spoiler alert) for pretty much the rest of my pregnancy, leading to a variety of other third-trimester ailments I'll tell you all about.
Cravings: Again, I just ate everything in sight in my second trimester, which included the whole of the holidays, so lots of sweet and salty foods were had!
Mood: Great!  The second trimester was nice because the baby started to grow, we knew his gender, and people could start to tell I was pregnant.  My energy level also went back up and any nausea that I had felt went away, so overall I was happy!
Getting Ready Projects: We finally started getting ready just a little bit in the second trimester :)  We ripped up the carpet in my office, which was to become the nursery.  We did this with the help of my parents on Christmas Day. I spent most of our babymoon researching baby products and went to Babies R Us with my mom when we got back to register for all the baby goodies!
Activity Level: During my second trimester I took a 6-week tennis clinic on Monday nights and also tried to walk Nashville as much as I could.  Sadly, I just didn't have the energy or desire to run and the one time I did try, I couldn't believe how heavy Eli felt on my bladder even though he wasn't even that big!  I also started prenatal yoga toward the end of my second trimester, which was a great, low-impact way to at least get some activity in.
Travel: In my belly, Eli did more travelling in the second trimester.  He went to:
  • Binghampton, NY for our friends Morgan and Dan's wedding
  • New York City - for work, 4 times (!) for a total of 9 days
  • New Jersey - for Thanksgiving to see Taylor's family
  • Phoenix - to be with my mom while she recovered from surgery
  • Sea Island Georgia - for our friend Jessi's wedding
  • Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - This trip was combined with the trip to Georgia and was our "babymoon."  We stayed at an all-inclusive resort and just relaxed and enjoyed some beautiful weather for a few days before heading back for the worst winter EVER in Michigan!

Photos: Full album, including photos with Nashville can be found here.
16 Weeks
18 Weeks
19 Weeks
21 Weeks
23 Weeks
25 Weeks (babymoon edition)
25 Weeks
26 Weeks
Back to Contents

No comments: