Saturday, April 21, 2007

A day of lasts and firsts...

Today was a day of lasts and a day of firsts.

It was our last Saturday practice, our last "long" run.

It was my last early morning Saturday in New York (at least for a while!!), and - with it - my last lame Friday (though let's be honest, I'll probably still be kinda lame!!).

Hopefully, it was also my last TERRIBLE run before the race!! Today, even though we only ran 6 miles today, I felt worse than I have felt in a long time. After just three miles, my stomach hurt so bad I had to stop and stretch for a few minutes.

But there's one more last: this is the last time I'm going to think about my bad run today!

And now for the firsts.

Well, for starters, this was the first SPRING day of the season!! All season it's been cold, cloudy, dreary. Now, don't get me wrong, I actually like running in the cold. But as far as post-run days go, today was beautiful. We went to brunch afterward and sat outside. It was a beautiful New York day. Here we are after our first spring run (notice Erica is even wearing a tank top!):


Today was also our first casualty. That's right. Kiernan had a little run-in today with a cyclist. Now, before I go on, I must tell you, I am actually surprised that I haven't mentioned this yet. The cyclists in New York are, essentially, the enemy. They frequently yell at us for taking up too much of the road. They are notoriously tempermental....very irrational in their anger and not at ALL the chipper folks you would expect from those who are releasing so many endorphins on their bikes. So, needless to say, today's run-in with a cyclist was a little bit ironic. We ALMOST made it to the end of the season. Well, this was a fairly painful run-in for Kiernan. Here she is dressing her wounds:


Finally, unrelated to training, today was my first New York baseball game!!! Here are a couple of photos.


What a fun day!!!

No comments: