Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Still Runnin'...

Yeah, I know, seriously. I thought we were done after 20 miles too!

Well, this week has actually already been a fairly active one for me. On my own accord, I ran the 6-mile loop in Central Park yesterday. I actually did it fairly quickly for me. I ran the loop in 51:55, which I think comes out to 8:39/mile. Yay. The only thing is, my right calf muscle started to tighten up and hurt pretty bad right at the spot where it stops being, you know, buff ;-) Like right where my calf muscle starts, there was a tight knot of muscle that just got worse during the last 2 miles of my run...

So, today at practice, we ran for an hour, but I had to cut it a little short because the pain in my leg was back again. The workout was that we started out heading north away from our meeting point. We ran 10 minutes at a slow pace, then sped up for the next 20 minutes. I felt pretty good for the first 30 minutes, slow from the run the day before, but good. Then, we were to turn around and speed up as fast as we could for the 30-minutes back. Logically, this would take us beyond our starting point. Well, even though I was actually running pretty fast (for me), my leg started to bother me again and I had to stop back at the starting point to stretch.

So by now, the tightness is starting to really worry me. But the weird thing is, no matter how hard I try, I can't work up the courage to ask the coaches what might be wrong! I KNOW!!! It's not like that's what they're THERE FOR or anything. But it's so weird. Today after practice the coach, who happens to be a physical therapist, even asked me how it went. And I STILL didn't say anything! So yeah, I have no idea what my deal is, but I just spend 45 minutes icing my leg anyway. I'll let you know how it turns out! For now, its time for bed! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carissa...Carissa...You better talk to the coach. I'm sure that he would have some ideas for you..and also, maybe some exercises you can do!! You don't want that to start bothering you , and get worse. What if it were to keep you from running your marathon
You have worked too hard to get to this point...don't be "silly!!" Ask for help!! You said it yourself...thats what the coaches are there for! LOVE YOU...MOM!!!