Hey there, so I guess I'm not the best blogger....huh? I'm so sorry. Been busy with work and visitors, you name it. Well, Taryn was here last weekend and it was a blast!!!! She had never been to New York City and with her 17-year-old eyes, I was able to see the city all over again. I must admit, I love New York from a newcomer's perspective!! It's so easy to lose the thrill of living in such a wonderful place when you're stuck in the daily grind. It was so great to get out there with Taryn.
We had a great time touring the city together. On Friday morning, we got up REALLY EARLY and headed down to Rockefeller Center to see Fall Out Boy perform on the Today Show. Despite the fact that we had to leave my apartment at 6:20am, we had a great time and Taryn was (I think) excited to see them in her first 12 hours in New York. We spent most of the day on Friday just seeing the main parts of the city. After Fall Out Boy, we went to the top of Rockefeller Center to the Top of the Rock Observatory. It had a great view of the city, especially Central Park. Taryn said that the most surprising thing about New York City is just how BIG the park is. It is rather surprising if you haven't seen it before. The park has a loop inside it that is 6-miles long, so that just gives you an idea of how big it is.
Friday we walked through Times Square before catching the train down to the World Trade Center site. We spend some time there before doing a little shopping and going by my office so Taryn could see where I work every day. We also headed to the South Street Seaport for lunch. The Seaport is a nice spot with lots of shops right on the east river. We hung out there and then caught the Staten Island Ferry, which takes us out into New York harbor right by the Statue of Liberty. It was a very nice ride and was a nice break from the hectic day. We just got to sit for a while and enjoy the water.
Friday we finally headed back to my apartment late in the afternoon to take a little break from the busy-ness of the day. On Friday night, we headed down to try to get tickets to the musical Wicked. Every day before the performance they have a lottery where you can win front row seats for just $25. We figured it was worth a shot, but didn't get the tickets! That was ok, though, because big sis had a backup plan (of course!). We headed to dinner at a nice little Mexican restaurant and then went to an African Dance Show in Central park. The show was great and it was a beautiful night to be outside.
After the show, I had arranged for us to spend the night at my new apartment, just so Taryn could see it and also because the place has air conditioning. We bought the stuff to make brownies and spent the rest of the night in the apartment baking and watching Sex and the City. It was quite a successful day if I do say so myself!!
Well, this has taken a while to write, so I need to get to the gym! I'll write the rest soon!! Please click the links below to see our pictures!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment