Saturday, April 14, 2007

Half Marathon #3 and RACE Day is Just Two Weeks Away!!

The Music Marathon is just 2 weeks away!!! AH!!

So as you can see, I am getting quite nervous. However, the Brooklyn Half Marathon was our practice this morning, and it was really reassuring for me for the marathon. For one, we were specifically instructed that today's race was NOT to be a serious race, but rather just another long run on a Saturday morning.

Well, we started this race at a comfortable pace and attempted to keep an average of 9 minute miles for the entire race. The temptation during races is always to run too fast, especially at the beginning, and then it's so easy to simply DIE at the end. By keeping a slower pace at the beginning, we were able to continue without slowing down the whole race. I am really wuite proud because even though I was definitely not pushing myself (I could have run a couple minutes faster, probably), I still managed to get a time that was just 5 seconds slower than my last half marathon 3 weeks ago. Part of the reason for this is that this course was pretty flat whereas the other one was VERY hilly. But the real reason that today's race made me feel good is that it was so easy for me to complete. At the end, I really did feel like I could have run another 10 miles at the same pace without too much difficulty. So, Coach Ramon will be happy to hear that not only did I have a good run today, I also was converted to his theory - which he has been preaching all season - that starting out slow and steady really is the BEST way to have a good marathon.


Here's a picture of Kiernan, Erica and I at the finish line. I cannot WAIT for this picture in Nashville in two weeks, girls!!!!


1 comment:

Jenilyn said...

I would like to volunteer to be the one to take that picture in Nashville... can't wait to see you there, Cari!