Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Is anyone else inexplicably emotional watching the olympics?

It's true! I'm watching the gymnastics competition after just watching Michael Phelps win his 10th gold medal and I cannot stop choking up! Every time the teammates hug or a coach hugs a teammate, a teammate hugs another teammate, a parent hugs a kid (don't EVEN get me started on that). And just now (I swear to you), I held up my left hand like it was me on the screen as I was watching a replay of a landing in the uneven bars.

Aside from making me a blubbering mess, though, the Olympics are really inspiring me. I mean, these people have worked their whole lives for as little as 12 seconds of the Olympics (in the case of, for instance, Bridget Sloan, whose only appearance at the Olympics was a single Vault!). It makes the work I am doing training for this marathon seem like virtually nothing!

Well, tomorrow night my good friend Laura is coming into town to visit me and I'm so excited! I haven't seen Laura in a couple years because she is in Med School in New Orleans and I've been in New York. We'll have lots of catching up to do!

Well, thank you for reading. I'm going to go watch the last leg of the 4X200 relay (and probably cry....) :)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Stumbled across your blog awhile back and have been inspired by your running! Put it on my Google reader. I just wanted to warn you though---the West coast (where I live) does not get the Olympics live--it's 2-3 hours behind. So if you could refrain from posting results for a little while, that would be awesome. I've had all the results ruined through things like Facebook and blogs---it stinks. I think I might have to go live in a hole for the next few weeks!

Unknown said...

I've been watching a lot of Olympics lately and yes, I get pretty emotional, though there hasn't been a watershed moment as of yet.

Funny thing, a Coke ad get me real emotional because it shows different people getting medals and I thought of all of us and what that finishers medal represents to TNT.

http://usatoday.feedroom.com/?&fr_story=2d0017f8d2d07ece97ae4b64d1712619ec1c1028&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%253Aen-US%253Aofficial%26hs%3DvFb%26q%3Dcoca-cola%2Bceremony%26btnG%3DSearch&autoplay=true&skin=utoneclip&rf=ev

Eric