I must admit, I have not been complete in my reports on my life for the past few weeks. Now that everything is ironed out, I have past the background and drug checks, and have notified all interested parties, I am finally able to discuss the EXCITING opportunity that I am going to pursue. Since I haven't been detailing this process all along, I'll start at the beginning.
On August 28th, a fellow Vanderbilt Alumunus sent me an e-mail regarding possible opportunities in the training and development department of one of the biggest banks in town. In the interest of discretion, I'm not going to put the name on here (I'll just call it the Company), but feel free to ask me more about it in person. Here's an excerpt from the e-mail:
"I looked into Dore2Dore in case there were any alum that would be interested in a position with the Company. Please contact me should the below job description be of any interest to you. There are also opportunities with Company University dealing with Training if that is of interest to as well. Let me know...
While I had just started my job with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society a month and a half earlier, after talking to my dad and some of my friends, I decided that it wouldn't hurt to at least take the time to talk to someone about the opportunity.
I wrote back saying that I might be interested, and I was set up to meet with one of the recruiting managers of a recruiting firm that works closely with the Company to staff its more administrative positions (like the one I have). I will technically be working for this Firm onsite at the Company. The Firm works closely with the Company(the bank that I will be working at) to hire and manage certain categories of employees, including administrative assistants, recruiting managers, and the training coordinators who then work on-site at the Company but receive their pay and benefits from the Firm. I was probably more nervous about this "meeting" than I ever was about any interview that I had ever gone to because I wasn't sure that I was even interested in any of the opportunities with the organization. This was especially nerve-wracking because I know that many, many people would give anything for an interview to work at the Company. I just have never been one of those people who was particularly concerned about working for the best bank in the world.
So anyway, in talking with Mr. Marty (Pseudonym, just so I don't get in trouble), I decided that I was very interested in talking further about positions with training at Company University. I proceeded through three more rounds of interviews, talking with more than seven different people on the team that I would be working on. Everyone I spoke with had nothing but good things to say about the other people in the department and the work. The more I heard, the more I liked what I heard. During my final interview, I even got to meet two girls who have the exact job that I will be doing. They were positive, encouraging, and very friendly. So, I was VERY pleased when I got a call last Thursday offering me a job!!
Just a little about the position (since I'm sure that's what you're wondering). I will be a training coordinator in the OTFS (Operations, Technology, Finance and Services) division of Company University. CU, as it is called, is the training and development branch of the Company. As training coordinator, I will be responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of training programs for these division. The job description is as follows:
• Reserve training rooms at training center
• Schedule speakers/facilitators for upcoming training events
• Set up training event details in Learning Management System
• Prepare printed materials specific to the training session, e.g. agendas, handouts
• Respond to inquiries related to training events
• Send email and/or voicemail communications on any schedule or other course changes
• Interact with divisional training teams on action items for upcoming training events
• Be an “onsite” representative to ensure training events are properly prepared and executed
• Support faculty during training events
• Consolidate and summarize course evaluation data
• Answer questions related to historical class statistics and attendance
• Follow up on open issues
• Manage training program budgets and vendor contract/invoice processes
What I like most about the job is that it really is very similar to what I am already doing, except it incorporates my education because it focuses on training and development of the people of the organization. I see many opportunities to work hard and really have a chance to contribute on my new team. It is really a great opportunity.
Of course, the other benefit of this new position is that it comes with a much higher salary than my current position. While I would never want to be one to make such a decision based solely on money, the fact that this position pays 50% more than what I am currently making in addition to overtime, I am a happy camper.
My first day is October 16 (I have put in my two weeks, and my current team has been very understanding), so I will definitely let you all know how it goes!!!! Please e-mail me ir you have any further questions :)
3 comments:
Carissa,
A BIG CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW JOB, GOOD LUCK.
LOVE,
AUNT SHERYL & UNCLE GEOFF
Carissa,
Congratulations!!! Life presents us with many opportunities, sounds like this one is a good choice.
Love
Aunt Cathy
CONGRATS!!
I'm so happy for you and proud of you!! Reading the job description, this position sounds exactly like something you will love!! I know that you will miss being at TNT, but you will still have opportunity to volunteer...I'm sure that they can always use help.
GOOD JOB GIRL!!
God Bless You
Mom
Post a Comment