Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Connection to the Cold

Tonight - some might say - my actions pretty much were the definition of insanity. It is a bitter cold day in New York City. Sunny, but COLD with a high of 23 degrees and a wind chill of about nothin'. Does this deter the Team In Training runner?

No.

Not at all. In fact, about 60 of us were out there tonight not just running, but painfully, excruciatingly, rapidly propelling ourselves up Cat Hill (read: big hill) over, and over, and over again. And believe me, much like last weekend when I felt thoroughly connected to the cause, tonight, I felt thoroughly, abusively connected to the cold!!! It was FREEZING! And it didn't help that I had to pee the entire time. Because here's something they don't tell you about running so hard your body hurts: it makes it hard to feel like you have control of your bladder. Don't get me wrong, I DID manage to control my bladder, but when your muscles are contracted from the cold and engaged fully in climbing of descending a hill...that bladder holder muscle tends to feel neglected. So, I will spare you any other details, suffice to say it was not the most comfortable run.

BUT, none of this REALLY matters. What does matter is WHY I am subjecting myself to this misery. And the reason is: to raise money to help find a cure for blood cancers. And let me tell you, thanks to the amazing support of people just like you, I am having AMAZING success raising money for a WONDERFUL cause!!! Just today, my wonderful friends and family donated $200 dollars to the Society!!!! How awesome is that? I think its amazing. I am just $783 from my goal, and I fully anticipate reaching it and, hopefully exceeding it.

Because here's the thing. Up to my minimum of $4,000, 75% of the money I raise goes directly to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's mission. After my minimum, 100% of every single dollar is allocated DIRECTLY to the mission of the Society!! The reason for this is that 75% must go to cover the administrative expenses of Team In Training. That is how they calculate the minimum. If I exceed that minimum, no more money is needed for administration, so it all goes to the mission!! How great!! :-) So please don't think that you don't need to give. I may reach my goal without you, but your dollars are MORE than valuable to each and every person who has been touched by one of these disease! Click "Donate Securely Now" to give!

No comments: