Saturday, February 24, 2007

Oh! Ouch! Ugh! Ah!

The title of this post is essentially the onomatopoeia of my run today...

Whether or not you're a runner, you've probably heard of the amazingly pleasurable experience known as "Runners high." I had my first one when I was a junior at Vanderbilt on the track around the basketball courts in the rec center. Runner's high is the feeling that one gets all too infrequently when running and it feels a little something like this:

Wow! I love running, I mean I really really love it! I don't know what's wrong with all those people who say "ugh, I hate running!" They must be friggen' idiots because this is the best feeling in the world. In fact, I'm on top of the world! Or maybe I'll take over the world! Luckily, I have plenty of time to decide and think about my next course of action because I could keep running for days! Wow, I'm so fit and fabulous, I should just run home to Ohio and tell Mom and Dad how good of a runner I am!

Today was NOT one of those days. Instead, ever mile felt like I was dragging two tree trunks along where my legs should be. My lovely companions Kate and Erica were so gracious and definitely stuck with me, but for some reason today my legs felt like they couldn't go another foot....every step of the way. Oh, not to mention we spent part of the run mixed in with the participants in a 4-mile race for New York Road Runners...so you can imagine how fun it was when we were just finishing our 3rd mile to hear the crowd shouting, "Only a quarter of a mile left, you can do it!!" when we really had....oh about 12 miles to go!

Well, the good news is that I DID finish the run! And I really do have a lot more enthusiasm than the previous paragraph would suggest, because I know that there are good days and bad days. And today, overall was a great day because I ran the longest I have ever run! 15.56 miles!!! So exciting!!!

Alright now its nap time :-) Thank you for reading!

No comments: