So yesterday something happened to me that I'm sure happens to many women from time to time. Especially those who are at Barnes and Noble at 7:20 on a Monday night buying a copy of Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat, Pray, Love." But still, I didn't expect it to be so terrible for me until it actually happened. So here's how it all went down:
Taylor actually stopped in to visit me last night (as you'll soon see, he can pretty much be blamed for all of this, one way or another). It was really sweet and fortuitous...he ended up going to a school event and I happened to get out of work early, so we rendezvoused on the Upper West side to grab some dinner. Before dinner, I wanted to stop in Barnes and Noble. I grabbed the book I needed and some Christmas cards and headed for the checkout while Taylor ran to the bathroom.
Just to set the stage, I was wearing the sweater and boots below (I know, I know, I'm not that creative) with some skinny jeans.
So, Borders was all set up for long lines, but since it was late in the evening, there weren't any people in the turnstile lines. So as I walked through the back and forth line area, some lady came straight to the front from another direction. Technically it was my turn, but I told her to go ahead. I wasn't in a hurry and she was old (which makes all this a little better), so I figured I'd do my holiday duty :-).
Imagine my amazement when she looks me up and down and says, "No, you go ahead, you're pregnant.".......................................
WHAT?!!!!!!!!????????!
And of course it would have been much less awkward if I had been able to just accept her (mistaken) kindness, but instead I looked right at her and said, "No I'm not!" And she just made an embarrassed face and wandered off....
Like I said, I have never had this happen to me and for some reason it really rattled me. For one, I don't THINK I look pregnant, but even more so I just felt very violated that she just assumed she could say it to me as though it were so obvious!
Of course when Taylor came back from the bathroom I immediately told him what happened. He was so cute "Well, for one, you don't look fat. The only reason I can think that you might is because of the sweater." Ok...I can see that the sweater may make me look bigger, but it pretty much makes you look bigger everywhere, not just in the belly. Silly boys :) Regardless, he gave me the sweater, so I blame him!
Ok, there you have it, my much worse than "expected" experience of the week!
No comments:
Post a Comment