Saturday, January 13, 2007

10 Miles and One Breaking-and-Entering Later

I ran 10 miles today (7 of them very quiet because my iPod died). To do this in the very small town of Perrysburg, I had to run a 5 mile loop twice, and it was actually quite enjoyable. I parked the truck at my church, which was on my pre-planned loop and began my run. The first 5 miles only took me about 45 minutes, which is actually quite speedy for me. I realize that this makes me a bit of a freak, but I really enjoyed running in the 34 degree weather. Cold weather running is my favorite!

After the first loop, I stopped back at the truck to get a Power Gel and a drink of water. I actually had to go to the bathroom pretty bad after the first loop, and I noticed that another car was parked at the church. Hoping that this was an indication that someone else was inside the church (and therefore it was unlocked), I tried the door. Sure enough, it opened, and I ventured inside to use the bathroom. I planned to say "Hello, I was running, that's my truck in the parking lot, and I go to church here - well, when I'm home, which isn't very often, but I still go to church here." or something to that effect. I noticed that the lights were on and the floors in the kitchen and the bathroom were freshly mopped (My mom asked me how I could tell this, so I will clarify - they were still wet). So, I went about my business, eating my Power Gel (more on that later) and going to the bathroom. While I was on the toilet, I hear someone walk by and pull the bathroom door shut (from the outside). As I was sitting on the toilet, I didn't want to launch into my pre-planned speech at that point, so I decided to flush the toilet quickly to ensure that the person realized that I was in there. Well, apparently the door made it shut first, because whoever was in the church did not hear the toilet, and when I managed to get the bathroom door open to identify myself, the two individuals who had apparently been cleaning the church were already on their way out the door locking it behind them. I decided that at that point it might not be a good idea to alert them of my presence (I didn't want it to seem like I was telling them they were bad keepers of the church for letting me sneak in!), so I just quietly hid in the hallway until they closed the door behind them and drove away. At that point, as I stood in the lobby of the church with all the lights off and the door locked, I realized that somehow, in the middle of a 10 mile run, I suceeded in accidentally breaking into my church. Good times!

The second loop of my run went very well, bolstered by the wonderful effects of the Power Gel that I took in the bathroom. Power Gels are little packets of gel (think of a large ketchup packet) that is concentrated with carbohydrates to provide an extra burst of energy halfway through a run of an hour and 15 minutes or more. The gels are easy to digest, so they work really well when you don't have time to stop for a full meal (though I sure WISHED I could have a full meal during my run today!

Well, I would like to type more, but my mom is going to take me to get some brownie mix so I can enjoy the fruits of burning 1,000 calories in one day! Thank you for reading and please LEAVE A COMMENT!!

No comments: