I must admit to you, I am a little ashamed that my first reaction when I saw that this is the main story on cnn.com was, "Wow, there really must not be any news." I am ashamed because I, of all people, should know that cancer IS big news. I've just been so jaded by all the depressing (not that cancer isn't depressing), political, and sensational stories that are always on CNN.com that I actually had a reaction to a real human interest story. Of course, I do take a vested interest in the topic of research and care for cancer patients, so I did take time to read the postings and I must admit, I am angered by the treatment of this subject in our country and correspondingly pleased that CNN has allowed it to take center stage, however brief its time in the spotlight.
Lance Armstrong gave a speech recently saying that his patience is running thin with government cuts on cancer funding. Please read a few of his quotes which I find particularly inspiring for me as I train and fundraise. Thank you.
I really identify with this quote, as I am often told that I lack patience:
"I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays. Impatience got me over countless mountain passes, across the finish line in New York City and through four rounds of ruthless chemotherapy 10 years ago."
"Cancer will impact one in two men and one in three women in their lifetime. It is devastating and it is pervasive. In fact, every year 1.3 million Americans are diagnosed with cancer. Thankfully, our country has made tremendous progress in this fight and produced remarkable advances in the way we prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. Today, in many cases, we can humbly say that cancer is no longer a death sentence. The medical advances achieved by our nation's best doctors and researchers have given us reasons to hope. But in spite of this vast body of knowledge, 1,500 people will die from cancer today and tomorrow and the day after that, often because the care they needed to prevent cancer or survive it was not available to them. "
"The political ads didn't tell voters that earlier in the year funding for cancer research was cut for the first time in 30 years. Nor did they explain that a lack of funding slows the pace of scientific discovery and the development of treatments. It is true that state and federal budgets are constrained by many important responsibilities. But cancer doesn't care about that."
Thanks, Lance. And thank you all for helping me in this VERY important fight. Please donate if you are able. Regardless, I ask that you tell me about the people you love who have been affected by cancer. I will need every ounce of their strength and inspiration to cross the finish line. Thank you!
"I'm not known for my patience. When it comes to cancer, I hope you aren't either."
No comments:
Post a Comment