Sunday, August 06, 2006

August 3, 2006 - I love Craigslist!!!

Ok, perhaps my title is a little emphatic, but today I had yet another glorious Craigslist experience, further cementing in my mind my opinion that Craigslist is the best invention of all time. Allow me to chronicle my Craigslist successes for you:

Success #1 - Nashville, TN - September, 2006 -

I first began using Craigslist in the late summer and early fall of 2006 when I decided to quit my job as an RA on Peabody and accept a position with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In order to do so, I needed to secure an apartment close to campus at a reasonable price. So I started looking and spoke with several people about some places, but one listing caught my eye. The girl who posted it seemed to have a lot of personality and I thought we would have a lot in common. She even put a link to her MySpace on the posting, further enticing me to check it out! So, I e-mailed her and went and saw the apartment a few days later. She called me later that week to tell me that she would like me to have the apartment. I was ECSTATIC!!! Not only did we get along really well, but the apartment was GORGEOUS with a huge room, a walk-through closet, and my very own bathroom. It was a great experience, and thus my love affair with Craigslist was born!

Success #2 - New York, NY June, 2006 -

Ok, Craigslist, its time to see what youve got, I thought as I clicked the Manhattan button and brazenly indicated that I refused to spend any more than $900/month on my apartment. IMPOSSIBLE! they cried, NEVER! cried the naysayers, but I trudged on, confident that Craigslist would prove itself, once again. And so I began e-mailing post after post, touting the fact that I like to go out sometimes but am by no means a party animal, even promising that I am inclined to do my fair share of housework. And no one responded, at all. I think I must have send out 30 e-mails and I only got one response. Luckily, it was from someone who thought we sounded like a good match, and we began chatting back and forth about the apartment. One thing lead to another and I was lucky enough to secure an apartment BEFORE I even got to the city. And the best part is, my roommate is fabulous. Craigslist, youve done it again!

Success #3 - New York, NY August, 2006

So today I began looking for a router for my computer. The apartment has internet access, but not wireless access. And my computer has never been violated by an ethernet cord in her short little life, so no need to start now. Anyway, so I started looking online, consulted my favorite computer nerd, and searched on Craigslist. Again, with reckless abandon I put in the maximum price of $20, though I know that routers, even cheap ones retail for about $50. Sure enough, I found one still in the box for $20 and e-mailed the seller. Wouldnt you know that he had appointments all day at 29th and Park (3 blocks from my work) and he brought it with him and called me. When he called, I agreed to meet him at the Bank of America at 25th and Park because I had to go to the ATM to get the $20. A little frightened of what might happen when I met this man in broad daylight, I forced my co-worker Ashley to come with me for what ended up being the most seamless transaction of all time. I handed him the $20, he handed me the unopened router, and we both went ou our merry way.Craigslist never ceases to amaze me

No comments: