Monday, August 28, 2006

Boys and Girls

I read a quote from Shannon Doherty the other day, and it came at an interesting time. See, I've never really been one of those "bad boy" girls, and I spent some time the other day talking to a very good friend who is most definitely not a bad boy. It seems he's having the frequent and repeated trouble of dating girls who only want bad boys, and his current interest is no different.

I even went on this chick's blog and here's what it says:

"So...how is it that I manage to get treated like a piece of poo by guys? (yes, I said "poo") Even the nice ones, somehow I manage to be the ONE girl that they decide to treat badly...ooo so disappointing."

Elsewhere:

"I've decided that I'm absolutely horrible with relathionships. It seems like I'm never good enough for anyone, they always find my flaws...so I've continuously lowered my standards...but, then I find flaws, or just realize that by lowering my standards, I'm not happy. So, when I do get a really great guy, such as one I've met recently, I spend way too much time doubting myself and worrying about when he's going to realize that I'm not good enough for him....it's a viscious cycle.."

Ok, so my annoyance here is that I'm totally on this boy's side and this girl isn't making any sense. And I know she's not alone. Girls complain about guys treating them like crap, they talk about how inadequate they feel, but then they get a nice guy, a really sweet one who won't walk all over them and who makes them feel adequate and then they seem to purposely screw it up!

(I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge that I feel much too old to be posting this blog. I feel at 23 we should be past this, and this girl is actually 24, I think. Also, this isn't a personal problem as in "I have this friend" just in case you're wondering :)

I have two theories on this:

My first theory is pretty much what everyone else always says and what Shannon Doherty concurred with:

"I wish I'd grown out of my bad-boy phase much sooner.  But every girl has to go through it.  If you have an amazing guy or a bad boy, you go for the bad boy.  It's just that rawness and that feeling of rebelling."
-the ever-wise Shannon Doherty.


 

Some girls just prefer bad boys. This group can be further divided into those who, like my good friend Shannon, acknowledge their preference for bad boys and stand by it. The other group is the group who swears they don't like bad boys but somehow just (Oops!) end up with them anyway. I really don't have anything profound to say about that, sorry, just pointing it out.

The other theory is one I'm working on and plan to publish soon, but it's just not ready so I'll post it here. Maybe the girls who complain about always being with bad boys who don't treat them well are just too sensitive or confused and they think that the way they are treated is bad when really it's not. Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that every woman who complains about her significant other is derranged. I know that domestic violence and physicial and emotional abuse are very common, but I'm talking about the girls who just generally complain about boys and don't really have anything specific to back up their claims... Perhaps no boy stands a chance because they are just hyper-sensitive to being in a relationship...

Either way, as Jim Carey said in "The Mask," nice guys do finish last. Boys like my friend don't appear to stand a chance with these girls and really don't stand a chance. Which brings us back to the age-old proposition, lets just all wear signs around our necks!

Perhaps not the most insightful post, but just wanted to get something out there on this annoying topic.

No comments: