
Here is a picture of me at my desk, just in case you care to view it :)
You may wonder why I am on MySpace at my work. Well, technically the work day hasn't started yet because, due to my utter powerlessness in my commute, I am early. If you wouldn't mind, indulge me in giving some advice that, though obvious, may be helpful should you ever find yourself commuting from New Jersey to the city on a regualr basis.
The morning and afternoon commute operate on an approximate bell curve where the X axis is the time you depart from either your bus stop in the morning or Port Authority in the evening, and the Y axis is the amount of time that it takes you to reach your destination.
Example:
I started out last week leaving Taylor's house at 7:30am to catch a bus at 7:43am from the Tenafly bus shelter. Under this arrangement, the bus would get caught in a significant amount of traffic, usually arriving in New York City between 9am and 9:30am. Tack on my 20-25 minute subway ride to where I work and I was averaging a half hour to an hour late. So, I finally decided I would be willing to reconsider my departure time and I began leaving Taylor's 15 minutes earlier, at 7:15am. Under this arrangement, I catch a 7:27 bus which arrives in Port Authority promptly at 8:12am. Thus, I was almost 20 minutes EARLY today....
Thus the bell curve. There is an increasing increase in commute time beginning at approximately 7:30, so I cannot avoid being either quite early or quite late. Getting up 15 minutes earlier is not a problem for me at all. For those who know me well, you know that the real annoyance lies in the fact that I cannot seem to finagle a way to get here on time exactly. And therein lies the rub.
Ok, I think I'm done being a total nerd....oh who am I kidding?
1 comment:
A perplexing situation. Commuting sucks, doesn't it? I ended up moving closer to work to cut my drive time from 40 minutes down to 15. It's glorious!!!
DarrellH.org
Post a Comment