For my new blog title, I've decided to keep with the theme and go with another song by one of my favorite bands, Fountains of Wayne.
Sunday, August 06, 2006
July 23, 2006 - Why I love running
So I just put up my "body type" on this profile thing. I'm not entirely sure that was necessary, but I decided why not. I selected athletic, which is something I had never considered myself. But the other day, while running around the Tenafly track, I had an epiphany.
I love running.
I remember in junior high, 3 laps around the school seemed like an ETERNITY (I'm sure all you p-burg peeps remember Nutter's gym class :). Then in high school I could force myself to run a couple miles to try to lose some weight or whatever, but never did I consider it enjoyable at all.
Then last year I started training for the 1/2 marathon in Nashville and realized that running is really a mind game. It's all about believing you can go a certain distance and finding a way to enjoy it. I ran 10 miles a couple of times with my dear friend Laura Folse. I never did the 1/2 marathon because 1) my ankle stopped working and got REALLY swollen and 2) I had to go to Minneapolis the weekend of the race for training for Youthworks and couldn't get out of it. But I still plan to keep running, hopefully completing the full marathon next year in Nashville.
Anyway, back to the Tenafly track. So I just moved to New York City, as many of you are aware. And I really feel like a fish out of water here. First of all, people tell me I have a Southern accent...ME...imagine that. Second, I don't really know my way around, I am not Jewish, and blonde hair is surprisingly uncommon here. But when I'm running, none of that seems to matter. I don't find myself lost or out of place. I usually listen to country music or Sanctus Real or something else that makes me feel like I'm at home. I know this all sounds very "What Women Want"-esque, but the road truly is la place where I feel like nothing else matters. And like the cheesy Gatorade commercials, a mile is a mile whether you're in Central Park, running the loop, or on a treadmill at the Y. A hill is a hill, pavement is pavement, and I am myself more than I am most other times. I love running, because it takes me home.
So, there's really no point to all this, but if you're still reading, I challenge you to go for a run. Don't worry about distance, time or style (but don't hurt yourself!), just pay attention to the feeling of being all alone while surrounded by people. And don't forget to thank God for the ability to get out of bed each day, happy and healthy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment