Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Feeling Inspired!


Well last night's practice was pretty uneventful. We were working on our arms again this week, which means we alternate our usual running style (mine being more "unusual" than "usual") with a modified style as dictated by Coach Ramon (see videos below for a little entertinment). This week, the modification was was to swing our arms really low, which subsequently makes our stride very short and we end up looking like we're shuffling along. I actually missed the part of practice where Ramon explained WHY we were shuffling along looking like a bunch of idiots, but I feel its fine. It was good for me, because I tend to run on my toes, and the new form really helped me stay off my toes. Another nice part of practice was that Taylor was able to join me at practice to meet some of my friends, and I even got to tell him a thing or two about running form, since I am quite the expert.

In other news, my fundraising is going very well, all things considered. Those things being: I mailed my letters 9 days ago and only my Aunt Sheryl in WHYOMING has gotten them...go figure!!! I realize that Christmas is a very busy season for the mail, but this really is getting ridiculous when it takes more than 9 days for a bunch of letters to get to Michigan and Ohio!! Well, the good news is that some of my local friends were so generous and visited my webpage and donated. Thank you so much Abby and Leslie, you are too kind. Don't forget, I will need all of the motivation I can get to get me through all 26.2 miles of the marathon, so please share with me any people you love who have been affected by a blood cancer or any cancer. These heroes have completed a marathon far more difficult against their will. The emotional and physical battle of cancer is more than I could ever imagine, and my marathon is a small way that I can show my support and attempt to understand. So thank you for sending me your honored heroes.

I should take this moment to introduce you all to my grandma, who is my inspiration to start this marathon. Grandma was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma three and a half years ago, and today she is a survivor. But her battle is not over, and neither is the larger battle against cancer. That is why I run. I run because there is still hope that one day, no one will have to go through what my grandmother and my family have been through; what millions of people go through every year: watching someone they love battle cancer. Here's to you, Grandma!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carissa,

Grandma misunderstood what I said, I told her that I read in you blog that you sent your letters out.I have not received one either!!!Go figure, leave it to the mail system.

love,
Aunt Sheryl